1. The minimum number of years to serve before qualifying for the grant of study leave with pay is five (5) years.
2. Applicants who apply for study leave in the critical subject areas should be allowed to teach initially for two years before embarking on study leave with pay. This is to enable more applicants qualify to increase the number required by the Service.
– English/ Linguistics
3. Non-Professional graduate teachers should have served for at least one(1) year before being eligible for the Post Graduate Diploma in Education(PGDE) course.
4. Members of the Service returning from Secondment must serve a minimum of two(2) years before they become eligible for any study leave with pay.
5. Members of the Service who vacate the Service and are re-engaged must serve a minimum of five (5) years before being eligible for study leave with pay.
6. An applicant who is eligible for study leave with pay must have a minimum of two(2) years to serve after the course. 7. An applicant shall be eligible for study leave with pay subject to the following: a. Good conduct b. Good Performance c. Recommendation by immediate supervisor.
Application For Study Leave With Pay
1. Applicants should obtain application forms from District/Regional offices.
2. Applicants should complete application forms (4 copies). Attach Certified True Copies of Certificate(s).
3. Applications should be submitted to the applicant’s Regional Director through the District Director /Head of Institution by end of April, every year.
4. The Regional / District Directors should ensure that the list of all applicants reach the Director, Human Resource Management and Development Division(HRMD) GES Headquarters by the end of May, every year.
DEPRIVED AREAS/ CRITICAL SUBJECT AREAS
1. Personnel of GES who have served for two(2) consecutive years or more in a deprived area.
2 .Personnel who have gained admission to read critical subjects areas and have served two years or more in the Service
10 YEARS AND ABOVE:
Service of ten(10) or more years after initial course of study.
– Service of 5-9 years after previous course of study.
STUDY LEAVE WITHOUT PAY
Any GES staff requesting for study leave without pay must fill the Study Leave without pay form and attach a copy of their admission letter. Applicants must forward his/her application letter with the above attachments to the Director-General for approval.
1. Study leave without pay shall be granted to members of the Service to pursue courses not approved by the Service.. Staff who are re- engaged after leave without pay must serve at least two(2) years before going on another study leave with pay
2. Members who pursue Theological/Pastoral courses at the Trinity Theological Seminary and other Seminaries (approved courses)
3. Members who pursue approved courses offered at institutions which have not been granted full accreditation.
4. Members who have served for less than five(5) years after initial certification (approved course).
5. Members who have served for less than five(5)years after re- instatement.(approved course)
6. Members who have served for less than two(2) years after secondment.(approved course)
7. Teachers pursuing courses meant for non- teaching personnel will not enjoy study leave with pay and vice versa.
8. Study leave with pay will not be granted for part-time courses.
The Effects Of Study Leave Without Pay
1. Loss of salary and SSNIT contributions
2. Denial of outright posting after course
3. Challenges of re-engagement, especially through replacement where a Staff number is required.
4. Denial of promotion while in school Years in school not counted as years of service.