The Electoral Commission has released the list of 56,772 persons whose names were captured on the electoral register using the National Health Insurance card as form of Ghanaian identification.
The commission on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 announced that it had already deleted the names in compliance with the Supreme Court order and will give them the opportunity to re-register on Monday [July 18, 2016] if they are able to proof their Ghanaian citizenship.Ghana’s apex court as part of the ruling on July 5, also asked the Commission to ensure that such persons are not disenfranchised, but are properly re-registered.
Speaking at a news conference on Wednesday, the Director of Electoral Services at the EC, Samuel Tettey, said the re-registration exercise will last for ten days.
Exhibition exercise also starts on July 18
The Commission has also announced that its exhibition exercise will also start from July 18 to August 7.
The date for the exhibition is slated for Monday 18 of July 2016, to 2nd August. This year’s exhibition exercise is a bit different from the previous ones for some reason. In other words, this particular exhibition exercise is characterized by three main innovations. First of all, the Commission has decided to extend the 10 to 14 days that we normally use for the exhibition exercise to 21 days.”
Mr. Tettey stated that, the exercise is relevant because it “offers voters an opportunity to know where their polling station is.”
We’ll delete ‘NHIS voters’ not captured on court’s list
The Commission has also promised to delete names of other NHIS registrants whose names were not captured on the list of 56,000 presented to the Supreme Court.
Mr. Tettey also told the press that “any other NHIS card registrant who is found apart from the list which was presented by the Supreme Court will also be deleted.”